Monday, October 22, 2012

C.R.E.A.M.

Should all public schools be alike/equal? Yes, but is this even a possibility? I don't think so. Ever since my family moved to Naperville I have gone to public schools in District 204 and I have experienced some of the best public education you will get in this country. At least that is what I believe. One thing that stood out for me when I attended Neuqua Valley was how well funded our school was, we had the best science equipment, gym equipment, and so on and so on. But, when we would go to other schools for sporting events, I couldn't help but notice how some schools even within our own conference, were much less funded.
Equality is something all people want, but unfortunately we have seen that equality is much harder to obtain then we could ever image. I agree with Kumashiro's response that these top of the line schools should be the standard and not the exception, but one of the conclusions I drew from his book was that education is about business, and business equals money. When push comes to shove those with the deepest pockets are the ones impacting our countries educational systems more than those individuals that love giving children the best opportunities.

C.R.E.A.M. - Cash Rules Everything Around Me

1 comment:

  1. Even as a teacher in Naperville's neighboring district, we call your school "The Golden Child". I did learn though, that with well-funded schools comes more demanding parents, faculty, and staff relating back to the phrase "you get what you're paying for" or in the case of teachers in Naperville and even Wheaton, "you get paid that much/little based on the intensity of the district you're in."

    ReplyDelete